A Boeing 737-500 airliner has crash landed in the Russian city of Kazan, killing all 50 people on board. The Tatarstan airlines flight from Moscow was trying to abort its landing in order to make a second approach, but it exploded when it struck the runway. Some 44 passengers and six crew members on board were killed, according to emergency officials. The plane took off from Moscow's Domodedovo airport at 6.25pm local time and crashed just over an hour later. According to eyewitness reports, the Boeing lost altitude quickly and its fuel tank exploded on impact. There were high winds and cloudy skies over the airport in central Russia at the time of the crash. Boeing officials at the Dubai Airshow declined to comment on the crash. The flight was operated by the regional Tatarstan airline, according to a spokeswoman from Russia's Emergencies Ministry. Kazan, which is 500 miles east of Moscow, is the capital of the oil-rich region of Tatarstan. A new runway was built at the airport ahead of the World Student Games, held in the city earlier this year. A spokesman for state aviation oversight agency Rosaviatsia said authorities would search for the flight recorders. "The plane touched the ground and burst into flame," Sergei Izvolsky said. "The cause of the crash as of now is unknown." Russia and the former Soviet republics combined had one of the world's worst air-traffic safety records in 2011, with a total accident rate almost three times the world average, according to the International Air Transport Association. IATA said last year that global airline safety had improved but that accident rates had risen in Russia and the ex-Soviet Commonwealth of Independent States. In April 2012, at least 31 people were killed when a Russian passenger plane crashed shortly after take-off in Siberia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manchester Citymidfielder Yaya Toure was subjected to noises that sounded like monkey chanting as his side faced CSKA Moscow in Russia on Wednesday. City have confirmed that they intend to submit an official complaint to UEFA over the alleged abuse, and a club official even spoke to the match delegate from the organisation after the match at the Arena Khimki with a written complaint to follow. Toure spoke of his sadness over the matter at the end of the game after he appeared to point to referee Ovidiu Hategan to identify specific sections of the CSKA supporters who were allegedly abusing him. The midfielder has been widely commended for his inspirational and dignified response to the incidents and in reporting what happened via social media and interviews. The Ivory Coast international told Sky Sports: "It is quite disappointing when you're talking about people continuing to do that. "It is unbelievable and very sad on my part. "I think UEFA need to do something strong. It would be nice if we could stop that. "Some of the songs today were quite stupid and I think UEFA has to do the work. "Every time we say something it continues, something has to be done to stop it." The papers were full of praise for the way that the City star reactedto the reported abuse and spoke with such 'strength' and 'class' after the match. Toure Tweeted after the match: "Thank you for your support! Hate or racism cannot affect me when so many people are showing me love and support on a daily basis! "I believe in football institutions, I know decision makers will take their responsibilties and show A RED CARD TO RACISM." Thank you for your support! Hate or racism cannot affect me when so many people are showing me love and support on a daily basis! — yaya toure (@Toure_yaya42) October 23, 2013 I believe in football institutions, I know decision makers will take their responsibilties and show A RED CARD TO RACISM — yaya toure (@Toure_yaya42) October 23, 2013 There was a great deal of support for Toure on social media with many fans keen to say how impressed they were with his conduct throughout. Yaya Toure extremely dignified, mature & sensible talking about racist chants. Class act — Alex Kunawicz (@AlexKunawicz) October 23, 2013 Dignified response from Yaya Toure in the face of blatant racism from CSKA fans, calling it 'disappointing'! Disgusting is more appropriate! — Michael McCarthy (@mkmccarthy1989) October 23, 2013 The incident comes 18 months after Porto were fined £16,700 by UEFA after their fans racially abused Mario Balotelli during a Europa League clash against City in February 2012. City also lodged an official complaint on that occasion, when monkey-chanting had been prolonged and widespread. Controversially, City were later fined £24,740 for delaying the kick-off of the second half of that same game by one minute. All eyes will now be on UEFA to see if they react strongly enough to this most recent episode.

Why Texas is labeled Canada on this map of the ‘ridiculously large’ U.S. economy

Xapo: Where Billionaires Store Their Keys